Client – Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board (PCJPB)
Construction Value – Approximately $10.2M
Completion Date (Construction) – 2017
This Electrification Support Services project is part of the Caltrain Modernization Program (CalMod). The modernized Caltrain service will be designed to support high speed rail in what is known as the “blended system”. CalMod is a major investment program by the JPB in the 150 year-old Caltrain corridor, Peninsula Rail Corridor.
As a recognized expert in Electrification practices, Armand Consulting (ACI) supports the critical areas of the project related to Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA), Communications, and System Safety. ACI is responsible to provide management and oversight involving design review, construction, installation, integrated testing, and commissioning related to communications and SCADA.
The program consists of three major elements including the installation of the federally mandated advanced signal system (CBOSS/PTC), conversion of the propulsion power system from diesel to electric by 2019, and procurement of new electric multiple unit (EMU) rail vehicles compliant with alternative standards. Electrification rail systems to be designed and installed in the existing JPB rail corridor involve:
• 25 kvac traction power substations
• 25 kvac switching and paralleling stations
• Utility service
• Overhead catenary system (OCS)
• Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA)
• Central Control
• Rail signaling conversion from existing DC to new AC compatible with CBOSS PTC and 25 kvac
• Rail crossings
• Operations and maintenance facility modifications
• Integration and coordination of these systems with all other elements of the CalMod Program
This Electrification owner-representative team is responsible for all rail systems required to complete electrification of the existing JPB rail corridor and works closely with the JPB and other consultants.